Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mt. Lanaya...Conquered!

It was an answered prayer - climbing without the rains and winds on our feet. The 4th climb with BRB and yet a first fair weathered climb. Yay! No sleeping wet experienced at OsmeƱa Peak. Cold winds and slippery trek in both Talinis and Canlaon climbs.

Group picture just before the ascent sans Jame, Pong and Flo2x!
The day started with Migo and I in a rather tiresome argument. The call time was 6:00 AM yet we were still having our breakfast by then. He must have been so pissed because it was the first time that I witnessed him snap and raised his voice when I kept reminding him that we're ALREADY super late.  The thought of not going crossed my mind.

When we joined the group at South Bus Terminal, I was not in my usual jolly self. I know I needed the time to calm myself so I wanted to be separated with the group. Like an answered prayer, when we board the bus bound to Alegria, most seats were occupied.

The trip took about 4 hours. The sleep must have taken my angst away because on the bus stop in Barili, I was feeling more like myself.

The Stop Over

The initial plan was to have our stop at Alegria Plaza for lunch. But for an unknown reason, it was later changed to Stop Over bakeshop

At the stop over. While the others are busy on other things, I had Migo took my picture. 
We waited about an hour for Pong to joined the group. When he arrived, we then proceeded to Nanay Lucing's house to meet with the guide and have our names listed on the mountain's log book. We had our lunch there. They were so nice to offer us free "humba" and "ginamos". 

Photo with Nanay Lucing and family!

Ascension

Then the suffering...the journey rather...started. :P The first 15 minutes was so-so. The next few minutes was
literally hell. I felt so hot. It was like my body is burning. I had to stop every 5 minutes of walking. I pity those who walked after me. They had to stop because I hold the line. :| I was a little shy I had to do that to them...just little though because I know in the next few minutes, my body would adjust and I wouldn't be that slow anymore. 

For me the whole ascension trail was divided into three parts. First is the path to the house that has a captivating view. Then the endless climb in rocky, leaves-laden, loose soiled path with too much ants. And finally, the plain path where Charry got bitten by bees. 

The hardest part was the 2nd. I feared for my life twice on it. The soil was so loose and a little bare. No roots to hold on to. I had to use my knees to get me through it. I actually crawled. It was a first! And before reaching that life-and-breath-taking path, we had to endure the the constant nuisance of ants. We can't rest in a place too long because ants' would get in our shoes and bite. The only consolation I had on that was the view when I reached the top. It was so beautiful it makes you forget all the hardships in getting there. 
On the 1st part with Gliana, Charry, Dave and Banky.
July, Ali, Florence, Dea and Dave (nibalhin dayon ug sides. Hmph)
Me and my pack.
And this is the beauty that awed us in the first part. 
The Actual Climb
The hardest part was the 2nd. I feared for my life twice on it. The soil was so loose and a little bare. No roots to hold on to. I had to use my knees to get me through it. I actually crawled. It was a first! And before reaching that life-and-breath-taking path, we had to endure the the constant nuisance of ants. We can't rest in a place too long because ants' would get in our shoes and bite. The only consolation I had on that was the view when I reached the top. It was so beautiful it makes you forget all the hardships in getting there. 
Resting time!
Saka na pud!
Na-injured si Banky! Mukaon lage ug saging! Hmph!
The Camp


Up Next: The Summit + Descension

No comments:

Post a Comment